• Social Security Card: Find out if your proposed student hire has a social security card. International student must have a receipt from the social security office that shows proof that they have applied for a social security number before they can be hired by USC. If the student you are planning to hire does not already have a social security card, follow these steps to assist your student in obtaining one:
- Department Letter: Have the student fill out the social security letter template, print on your department letterhead and sign as the supervisor. The template can be found here (if you need the EIN #, email firstname.lastname@example.org): International Student Worker – Hiring Department Template
- OIS Letter: Have the student contact the Office of International Services (OIS), http://ois.usc.edu/, to obtain a secondary letter verifying the student’s current enrollment status.
- Visit Social Security Office: Have the student take both letters from above to the closest social security office to apply for a social security card. The nearest social security office is located a few miles away from campus at 1122 W. Washington Blvd., 2nd Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90007.
- Receipt: The social security office will provide them with a receipt which they will bring to begin their hiring process.
• Intent-to-Hire Form (part 1 – supervisor portion): The supervisor begins the process of hiring a student worker by filling out the “Intent-to-Hire” form located here: https://uscprovost.service-now.com/sp?id=sc_cat_item&sys_id=5d5c64c21bf6b3004a5033bc1d4bcb6b
– The following information is required for this form: Supervisor Email Address, Supervisor Name, Supervisor Phone #, Proposed Student Worker Name, Proposed Student Worker USC Email, Is your student hire an international student?, Is your student already employed as a student worker by USC, Department, Semester, Student Job Title, Hire Date, Approximate work hours per week, Account #, Rate of pay, College Work-Study available for use for this position?, Shift Differential?
Q. – What happens after I submit this form? After you complete this step, you will receive a confirmation email that references your ticket # for this request. Your student will also receive an email (see next step.)